Sunday, October 26, 2008

Is a 'Guarantee' Really Guaranteed?

While I was on my home page, I saw a headline that said, “McCain ‘guarantees’ Election Day victory in close race”. The first thought that came to my head was how optimistic that statement was. Being curious, I clicked on the link, and it brought me to the article. During Sundays interview with “Meet the Press” on NBC, McCain discussed his chances of winning the presidential race, which has become surprisingly close after Obama’s 12 point lead as late as Thursday. McCain said that “We’re going to do well in this campaign…we’re going to win it, and it’s going to be tight”. His headlining, and most optimistic quote, thought, was that McCain can “guarantee” a win on November 4th (Election Day). I was stunned by how bold and idealistic these statements were. Polls have showed that McCain has decreased his deficit to 5 points, a major change from Thursday’s polls, which showed him 12 percentage points behind. This gaining ground is thought to be due from McCain’s focus on the economy recently. Nonetheless, the polls still show that McCain is LOOSING! I believe he is in no position to discuss how he will win what he believes to be a close presidential race. Personally, I think he should focus on making the polls a little closer before he brags about how is believes he is going to win. I also wonder how McCain’s supporters feel after McCain has “guaranteed” them a victory. And will they would feel lied to if McCain ends up losing the presidential race. Although it’s good to be optimistic and have dreams, sometimes you have to know what dreams to keep to yourself, that way you won’t be letting so many people down if you fail to fulfill your dreams.

No comments: